If you still consider a strong eye and strong lip combo "rebellious."
Hi, xoVain! I'm visiting today from my little corner of the blogosphere, a.k.a. this site, where I basically spend my time thinking about lip gloss and Jared Leto's hair. If we've not crossed paths before, then HEY.
And thanks for having me over. Since coming without a gift would be #rude, I thought I'd bring you some of my favourite holiday makeup tips, product picks and a go-to party look that flatters everyone (and is impossible to mess up, no matter what your makeup skillz).
Let's call it the shimmering golden-chocolate eye with classic creamy-matte red lips. See? Nothing cray, but it's gonna look amazing on you.
Here's what I stashed inside my* clutch:
*Fine, it's not my clutch. But ain't she a beauty?? Her name is Belle Vivier, from Roger Vivier, and I borrowed her from Holt Renfrew (Canada's equivalent of Saks). I've already got the sads about giving her back.
Now, here's what I did with each product to create this party look. Note: I'm assuming we're coming from the office here, so you've already got your foundation on (if you wear it). If not, go do that now. We're not lugging around a bottle of foundation in the clutch. (Especially not THIS clutch.)
1. Marc Jacobs Twinkle Pop Eye Stick: One of my top 10 favourite products of 2014, right here. Maybe even of all time. This is a shimmery, crease-proof cream shadow in a purse-friendly stick format—and even if you hate eyeshadow, I think this could change your mind.
It's gonna be the foundation of our look, so don't be shy: scribble the shadow all the way from lashes to brows, and then take it under the lower lash lines as well. I layered two shades, though either one would be just fine; Three Shakes is a milk chocolate (for more definition) and Volver is a peach champagne (for a golden highlight). There is NO blending required here, as the shimmer texture gives our smoky eye plenty of dimension.
2. NARS Night Series Eyeliner: Next, we need to "ground" the shimmery shadow with a darker liner to make our eyes pop. Any soft black pencil will do, but I'm especially loving these new NARS ones, which have bits of colourful shimmer suspended in the black. I chose Night Clubbing (black with gold) and applied it along the lash lines and in the waterlines, all the way around. Don't worry about perfection because you're next going to use a finger or smudging brush to soften up your lines. You want this to look a bit "lived in" and blend into the shimmer.
3. MAC Extended Play Gigablack Lash Mascara: A makeup artist recommended this mascara to me last year, and it's seriously awesome. Don't be unimpressed by its petite, portable size. Unlike all those gigantic mascaras lately, with their unwieldy oversized wands, this one is tiny and perfect for getting at every single lash (and without clumping). You can build it up for more drama, too. I wouldn't worry about false lashes... just mascara usually looks more modern, IMO.
4. Maybelline Brow Drama Sculpting Brow Mascara: Because we're doing an eye AND a lip, I think it's nice to do a full brow as well--it makes it a little '80s glam, in a good way. I am obsessed with this new brow mascara, which coats the hairs to build natural-looking fullness like you wouldn't believe. For best results, make sure you use a "windshield wiper" technique to apply it, going back and forth starting from the tails of the brows. I also like to pay special attention to building up the "fans" at the inner corners.
5. Make Up For Ever Full Cover Concealer: This full-coverage concealer Does.Not.Budge. Which begs the question, do we even need to bring it with us, then? Well, maybe not! But I wanted to alert you to its special powers, regardless. It has an extensive shade selection, requires no setting powder and a tiny drop goes a looong way. Because it's so opaque, it's perfect for covering zits or scars (I apply it with a lip brush), but you can also blend it out just fine for dark circles or areas of redness.
6. Yves Saint Laurent Baby Doll Kiss & Blush: I like to have a bit of colour on my cheeks so I don't look undead, but not so much that it fights with the rest of the makeup or seems clownish. Enter this new cream blush (an updated packaging of YSL's old blush pots), which works on both cheeks and lips. It's a bit splurge-y, but I swear it gives you the subtlest, most natural-looking flush (I wear 2 Rose Frivole, a pale pink). If you don't want to do the red lipstick, then you could stop the makeup right here, and put this on your lips instead.
7. RMS Living Luminizer: This cream illuminator is a cult product for a reason. Not only is it made with natural ingredients, but it's the extra somethin'-somethin' that can really elevate your makeup. Dab some at the inner corners of the eyes, down the bridge of the nose, along the tops of the cheeks and above the Cupid's bow. Sculpting your face with light (instead of darkness) can make an unbelievable difference, and you'll never get telltale contour streaks!
8. Boscia Clear Complexion Blotting Linens: I'm not a powder person. I'd rather be on the dewy, glowy side than look dry and matte. (Plus, if you keep touching up with powder, it can get cakey.) These blotting sheets are my fave because they take away oil without messing up your makeup OR depositing any additional powder on you, which some sheets weirdly do. And they smell amazing.
9. Maybelline Color Sensational Creamy Matte Lip Color in Siren in Scarlet: Maybelline is just killing it lately. A lipstick line called "The Creamy Mattes"? I want that, says every woman everywhere. They are indeed as good as they sound--gorgeous colour in a balmy lightweight feel and a semi-matte texture that's not at all drying. Run, do not walk.
10. Giorgio Armani Nail Lacquer in 414 Pure Red: Yes, I realize it is a little obnoxious to own a Giorgio Armani nail polish. But hear me out. This shade, at least, is a one-coat wonder and the ultimate holiday red. Plus, the brush is great and the chic little bottle is très portable.
That's it! Now go shine bright like a diamond, hot stuff. And don't forget to come visit sometime.
- What's your go-to holiday party makeup?
- What do you stash in your clutch?