If you still consider a strong eye and strong lip combo "rebellious."
Do you ever play the “If you could get any plastic surgery for free, what would it be?” game with your girlfriends? My answer is always the same: lip injections. I’ve dreamt of having pillowy, pouty lips ever since I first saw Angelina Jolie on screen when I was a teenager.
My lips are sorta full, but like any greedy gal, I need more, more, MORE! I’ve dabbled in store-bought lip plumpers and fantasized about the day when I’ll be able to afford my very own lip injections, but for now, this DIY scrub and plumper is the best product I’ve used.
DIY Lip Plumper & Exfoliator Supplies:
- Brown sugar
- Cinnamon oil
- Some sort of thick oil that works for your skin. I suggest olive oil or coconut oil.
- In a small container (I reused an old moisturizer sample jar and repainted the lid with gold polish), scoop in a tablespoon or two of brown sugar.
- Add about 10 tiny drops of the cinnamon oil.
- Pour in small amounts of oil until the whole thing has the substance of a thick exfoliating scrub.
The oil you use is up to you and your preference. I used Vitamin E oil at first, but it made the skin around my mouth breakout. Then I switched to olive oil, which worked better.
To use, simply scrub the mixture on your lips for a minute or two before thoroughly rinsing. Your lips will immediately feel softer, and the cinnamon oil will leave them stinging just a bit. The key to any lip plumper is to slightly irritate the lips. If the skin turns red and stays that way for more than a minute, you’ve probably used too much cinnamon oil or your skin is reacting badly to it.
After you’ve scrubbed your lips, gently pat them dry with a clean washcloth. Apply a good, thick balm. (I’ve been alternating between Glossier Balm Dot Com and Bliss Fabulips Lip Balm.) For extra wow factor, go with a gloss instead of a matte lip this winter. It’s fancier, and life should be fancy.
I’ve been using this scrub for about a month now and have noticed my lips feeling fuller and softer in general. Exfoliating regularly is super important in these chapped winter months!
The best part, though, is that this scrub leaves your lips smelling like a warm, yummy Christmas cookie. You’ll surely be a hit underneath the mistletoe this year. (Winky face emoji.)
- What’s your secret to plump, pouty lips?
- Do you have an answer you always pick in the hypothetical plastic surgery game?