This is your place to talk about the TV, movies, music, books and art that are thoroughly entertaining you.
This week, I'll be boarding a plane and carrying my East Coast ass out to Iowa. In anticipation of inevitable travel delays, I'll be bringing — in addition to long-johns, mittens, and an assortment of hopelessly uncool but functional hats — a carefully chosen travel book. My "must have" on-the-go book requirements are simple:
- A slim volume that will take up no more than 5% of my carry-on luggage space.
- At least a 3+ hour read.
- Something so interesting that I'll be inclined to poke at my travel companion every 15 minutes and divulge some fascinating detail from said so-very-interesting book.
- Nothing too light. There is nothing worse than speeding through your travel read in an hour and then being bored to death for the duration of your trip.
For this trip out (mid)west, I am torn between MFA vs NYC: The Two Cultures of American Fiction and The World Is on Fire: Scrap, Treasure, and Songs of Apocalypse. Both titles are nonfiction, incendiary — the former because, duh, writers have been up in arms over it since its release; the latter because, duh, it's chockablock with fire — and available on Kindle, if you're so inclined to read along with me. If, you know, you're into e-readers.
(I'm not into e-readers on account of they are blasphemous machines created by the devil.)
Are you traveling for the holidays and facing flight cancellations, $8 bottles of water, and a desperate need for escape? More importantly, what will you be reading? Perhaps even more importantly than that, are you planning on digging into any of these dense books recommended by folks last week — probs not, though, 'cause they're heavy, right?
- Ulysses, War and Peace, Les Miserables, Gone With the Wind (kantiankitten)
- Jane Eyre (Amanda)
- 2666 (Prime Derridean)
- The Goldfinch (Nora_VH8)
- Middlemarch (Aster)
- Vineland (halcyonbird)
- The Witching Hour (glaughy)
- All the Light We Cannot See (TockTheWatchdog)
- A Clearing in the Distance (HumanTrampoline)
- One Hundred Years of Solitude (CrazyCatLibrarian)
- The Blind Assassin (CaptainManatee)
- Grapes of Wrath (Webby Vanderquack)
- The Crimson Petal and the White (Becky)
- Name of the Wind (marxamod)