I love Mexican food. It's my favourite kind of cuisine, and anything with a Mexican flavour to it always gets me. I also love quinoa, and salads, so I figured I'd try combining all of these things into a delicious, healthy, and cheap (!) concoction that has me making loud, joyous noises whenever I consume it.
So, I present to you my Southwest Quinoa Salad, with Homemade Salsa and Avocado-Lime Dressing. Mmmm. Perfect for these warm days that feel like Summer, even though it's March. (WTF, weather?!)
Southwest Quinoa Salad (serves 1)
- 1 cupful of red quinoa, soaked and rinsed
- 1/3 cup canned corn
- 1/3 cup canned black beans
- 1/2 cupful of homemade salsa (recipe below)
- 1 tablespoonful avocado-lime dressing
- 1/2 of one ripe avocado, chopped (use other half for dressing)
- 1/2 of one lime (use other half for dressing)
- however many tortilla chips you want
Boil the quinoa according to directions (I'm not gonna explain how to cook quinoa here, it's super easy and you can Google it if you really need help). In a frying pan on high heat, heat the corn for 2-3 minutes to get it sort of "roasted", then lower the heat and add the black beans. When quinoa is ready (after about 8-10 minutes), pour it into a bowl with the corn and beans, add the salsa, avocado dressing, and chopped avocado and serve with a side of the leftover lime and the tortilla chips. I personally like to break the chips up and eat them with the salad.
- 3 medium-sized tomatoes
- 1 small white onion
- 1 handful of fresh cilantro
- 1 small green chile (seeds removed)
- 1 medium-sized green pepper
- 2 cloves garlic
- 1 tablespoonful of olive oil
- juice of one lime
- a squirt of Sriracha if you like it spicy
Dice the tomatoes, onion, green pepper and green chile, and add to any container with a lid, like a mason jar or empty yogurt tub. Finely chop the cilanto and garlic and add into the container, along with the olive oil, lime juice, and Sriracha if you're into that. Give it a good shake. Refrigerate overnight if to really let the flavours "mingle", or you can serve straight away. This yields a pretty decent portion so use some of it in the salad and the last you can just use a dip for tortilla chips later, as it'll keep for a few days if you refrigerate it.
- 1/2 of one ripe avocado (use the other half chopped up in the salad)
- juice of half of one lime
- a squirt of lemon juice
- 1 and a half tablespoonfuls of sour cream
- a splash of milk
Chop the avocado into small pieces, then throw with other ingredients into blender and purée for about a minute. If you don't have a blender, you can mask it all together in a bowl. Add it to the salad when you're done and mix in well.
So easy! So delicious! Now tell me, what are your favourite Summer-y recipes to kick off the warm weather with? I'm going to try to make some beet-orange salad and some grapefruit-mint salad in the coming weeks ... Mmm.