Oh, don't pretend like you don't have one!
I am SO happy your clocks have been set forward (Singapore doesn't do Daylight Savings). Aside from the fact that this means I don’t have to stay up until midnight to FaceTime with my California-based boyfriend, John, it also means that spring is coming. Considering the winter you guys have had, spring can't come soon enough!
Because Singapore stays mostly the same temperature all year round, I don’t have the habit of putting clothes in storage and swapping them as seasons change. I enjoy cleaning my closet from time to time, dutifully arranging my clothes by colour and selling the ones I don’t want anymore on Instagram, what I don’t have the habit of is cleaning out my makeup bag more often.
And so, in light of the day that the other part of the world moves their clocks forward, I decided to spring-clean my makeup bag. Here's how you can, too.
Dump everything out of the bag.
Considering I pride myself on being clean, my makeup bag was far from it.
My BeautyBlender was brownish, from the foundation I’ve been using. I have a lip and cheek tint by Face Atelier that was dried up, the Clinique Chubby Stick and the 3Lab Super Eye Treatment tube didn’t need to be carried around because I never used it anyway. The Benefit POREfessional tube should’ve just been left at home, because again, I never use it after I leave home.
Oh, yes, and the mini case I had for my loose powder needed some sprucing up as well.
Throw out and clean up.
Start by throwing out things that are expired, products that have dried up, or things that you don’t use anymore. As a guide, here’s how long products should last before you throw them out. (This will, of course, depend on how clean you and your makeup brushes are when you use your products, how often you use them, how you store your products.)
• Powders: 2 years
• Foundation: 6 - 12 months
• Creams (cheek creams, eyeshadow creams): 12 - 18 months
• Lipstick/ lip gloss: 18 months
• Mascara: 3 - 6 months
• Lip and eye pencils: 12 - 18 months
• Concealer: 12 - 18 months
Admittedly, I do have many items that I’ve kept much longer, like eyeshadows, but I clean them often and store them in a dry box, similar to that of a photographer’s. This ensures my products have a longer life and don’t get nasty. Because my eyes are particularly sensitive, I throw out my eyeliners, eye pencils and mascara more often than recommended, so I don’t get eye infections.
Pick what you will use.
We tend to hoard things in our bags. I have found things like forks, hairbrushes, and scrunchies in my friends’ bags and let’s face it, I’m not going to be wearing a scrunchie outside the comforts of my bedroom (maybe you would--I don’t know).
Streamlining your makeup bag is just that--adjusting what you need according to your lifestyle. I would need a makeup touchup only if I’m heading to a work-related event, or if I’m meeting friends after the gym, which I go to at least four days a week.
With that in mind, here are the newly streamlined contents in my makeup bag (the bag is a faux leather one I picked up from Forever 21 months ago):
1. A travel-sized bottle of MoroccanOil: I wash my hair after sweating it out in the gym, and I may or may not blow-dry it, but I like this oil on the ends, always.
2. Isehan Sunkiller Clear Water SPF50 sunscreen: I’m no scrooge when it comes to loading up on sunscreen, and this is my favourite for the face lately. It’s called "Clear Water" and it really is like water; it doesn’t give me a white wash and is perfect under makeup, or even over.
3. YSL Golden Gloss (in White Gold Quartz): Sometimes, when I need sprucing up for a meeting, I like to swipe something over my lips.
4. NARS Pure Radiant Tinted Moisturizer.
5. NARS Brow Gel: Sometimes you just need to tame your brows!
6. Benefit They’re Real! mascara: Some mornings I wake up with my eyes irritated and red, so I skip eye makeup all together, but they get better as the day goes on, and if I need to, I’d like to swipe some mascara on my lashes before I go out in the evening. Plus, it’s super handy in a travel size.
7. Bobbi Brown Pot Rouge for Lips and Cheeks: Multi-purpose products are great to carry around because, obviously, you have multiple products in one. I love this product (and so does Mari) and it gives me a great flush of colour.
8. My loose powder pot has been cleaned out, and the poof has been replaced with a new one.
9. Hair accessories, like a hair tie and a daisy clip by Ban.do.
Are you in need of a makeup bag spring cleaning? Show me what's in yours RIGHT NOW.