Oh, don't pretend like you don't have one!
As some of you might already know from my recent social media posts, my partner of three years and I just broke up. We both knew it was the right decision, but can I just say, no matter how sure you are when it comes to breaking up, it always just really sucks?
Splitting up belongings, hunting for studio apartments, and weird judgmental friends are just some of the perks that come along with separating yourself from the person you love.
In an effort to stay sane throughout this whole experience, I’ve been trying really hard to give myself as much love and support as I can manage. I’ve started running weekly with a group and plan to train for a spring marathon; I spend a lot of time reading in bed with my pup by my side; and some days I even eat ice cream for breakfast. Basically, I’m giving myself more “me time.”
A big part of this “me time” is centered around beauty products and self-care, and I’ve developed a sort of makeshift breakup survival plan that might help a few other broken hearts out there. Here’s how I’ve been staying afloat.
1. Two words: bubble baths. When I’m feeling really low there’s not much that can get me up again, but a hot bubble bath, a glass of wine, and a good book always does the trick. Go for something fun and sparkly from Lush if you’re craving a pick-me-up, or a cocktail of fancy Illume bath salts and Perlier Honey of the Amalfi Coast Bath Cream for something a little more indulgent.
2. Get your beauty sleep. I know it’s tempting to stay out late, drink, and otherwise go a little crazy, but those emotions will catch up with you sooner or later, and when they do you you’ll want to be as rested and clear-minded as possible. Being sad, confused, angry and frustrated is literally exhausting, so give yourself lots of extra time to snooze. Your mental health will thank you later.
3. Find a new signature scent. If you’re anything like me (and almost everyone else on the planet), you connect scent with memories, which means an old scent might remind you of special moments with your newest ex. Find a new fragrance that makes you feel excited and happy, something that fuels your desire to reinvent and improve yourself. My pick is Prada Candy Florale, a beautiful, cheerful scent that literally smells like candy and flowers.
4. Exercise whenever possible. I know it sounds cliche, but people who sweat more are always more happy, and with your heart pretty much smashed to pieces and then swept into the garbage can, you will need all the extra happy you can get. Try something fun and energizing like barre or pole dancing to make new friends, or go on solo bike rides and jogs around your neighborhood when you’re feeling overwhelmed and anti-social. Whatever you do, don’t sit around crying all day every day!
5. Work a face mask into your weekly routine. There’s something so fun and relaxing about home face masks, and setting time aside one day each week to chill out and clear your pores can provide some much needed space to clear your mind. My current favorite is Herbivore Botanicals’ Pink Clay Facial Mask, an all-natural exfoliating floral concoction that leaves my skin feeling good as new--no matter how puffy my face is from crying.
6. Change up your look. Whether it’s a big haircut and dye job like I recently did right before my breakup, or something as simple as a bold new lip color, making changes that help you feel stronger and more confident can work wonders. Treat yourself to a product you’ve been eyeing for a while or book that facial you’ve been dying to get.
Remember, the most important rule during a breakup is taking all the support and love that you were giving your partner and pouring it back into yourself.
What do you do to survive a breakup? Is ice cream involved? What flavor?