It's basically SAW: Beauty Edition.
I love me some cushion, especially when it comes to makeup. Applying makeup from a cushion feels like a dream and lets you touch up on the go, without having to lug around a bulky bottle of foundation in your makeup bag.
The innovative way that a cushion dispenses product allows you to add as much or as little product as you want with ease. But while cushion makeup is a huge trend in Korea--and gaining popularity in the States--you're not likely to find it at your local drugstore.
Follow me as I turn some empty dollar store containers, sponges, and my favorite beauty products into cushioned BB cream and blush!
Here's What You'll Need
- Containers with air-tight lids (you can recycle old makeup or skin care containers)
- A spatula or something to mix with
- Your favorite products
The thinner you cut your sponge, the less product you can get away with using. You don't have to be neat.
Put the sponge aside. Here’s where the fun begins.
It's time to add product. I'm doing a sort of BB cream situation. Before we get to mixing though, my makeup artist friend, Nikki, has a few mixing rules to keep in mind.
- Always test a small amount before going nuts and mixing a big batch
- In general, products with the same bases mix well together
- Oil and silicone work together
- Wax works with oil, water, and silicone products
- Oil and water is a no-no, as it can cause product pilling
I started with my favorite YSL Le Teint Touche Eclat foundation.
You’re ready to go! Apply with a makeup sponge or stippling brush for best results.
I also did the same thing to create a gorgeous cushion blush.
Instead of (or in addition to) moisturizer, you can use any oil that agrees with your skin.
If you wanna get real legit, you can hot glue a mirror onto the covers of the containers.
Throw 'em in your purse for on-the-go touch-ups, and toss out the sponge and make new cushion products when you run out. Highlighters, contours, correctors--the possibilities are endless! I'm thinking makeup pigments mixed with moisturizer for all the blush colors in the world.
- Do you like cushion makeup?
- Are you going to try this out? What products would you combine?