So check this crap out: I’m a 38-year-old ME and last week I went to a therapist for THE VERY FIRST TIME.
There’s no good reason I can give you for avoiding therapy, other than years of not wanting to stop doing the bad things I loved to do. I also used to think of health insurance as disaster coverage in case a bus hit me. I did spend all of junior high in the counselor's office.
Plus, if I had gone to the shrink all these years, it might have interfered with my being relationship psychic/armchair psychologist to all my friends. All those Woody Allen movies and Sopranos episodes kept me at the top of my game, I like to think.
My lady came highly recommended by her bff, my husband's therapist, whom I love dearly in theory and practice. Giddy as a pushing-40 school girl with daddy AND mommy issues, I made my way to the 33rd floor 40 minutes early for my first sesh.
She’s really smart and charming, and I’m seriously in love. Boy, does she have her work cut out for her. I HAVE ARRIVED!
In celebration of my triumphant entrée into psychoanalysis, I give you Seven Lady Shrinks From Movies:
1. Nicole Kidman as Dr. Chase Meridian in BATMAN FOREVER
2. Vera Farmiga as Madolyn in THE DEPARTED
3. Rene Russo as Dr. Molly Griswald in TIN CUP
4. Jennifer Lopez as Catherine Deane in THE CELL (I have no idea what's happening in this clip)
5. Meryl Streep as Lisa Metzger in PRIME
6. Jane Fonda as Dr. Martha Livingston in AGNES OF GOD (a role I played in high school. See?)
7. And the queen of them all, Barbra Streisand as Susan Lowenstein in PRINCE OF TIDES
Ahhhh, my skull feels tighter already.