A few nights ago I watched "Now And Then" for the eleventh time (approximately). If you came of age in the 90s and you appreciate girly-stuff, then chances are, you remember "Now And Then" from sleepovers.
This girl power classic follows four girls, Roberta, Teeny, Chrissy, and Samantha, as they bike, séance, and swim their way through the summer of 1970. We also get to know them twenty years later as grown ladies. It takes place in their suburban Indiana hometown and they have a completely unrealistic treehouse that makes me angry to this day.
If you've never seen "Now And Then" and you are into celebrating female friendship and/or want to marvel at Demi Moore and wonder what kind of deal she made with the devil to only get hotter and hotter as she ages, then why not come watch it with us?
xoJane is co-hosting a screening of "Now And Then" tomorrow, Thursday the 21st at the 92Y Tribeca in NYC with Bonnie & Maude, a monthly film podcast by Eleanor Kagan and Kseniya Yarosh.
- February 21 "Now And Then"
- March 14 "Mermaids"
- April 24 "Slums Of Beverly Hills"
- May 30 "Romy And Michele's High School Reunion"
- June 20 "Bring It On"
And now for a few of the best parts of "Now And Then" to get you psyched:
- Janeane Garofolo as server, psychic and alleged witch!! With tons of eyeliner.
- Thora Birch's entire performance as Teeny is so energetic and even better than "Hocus Pocus."
- Melanie Griffith smoking lots of cigarettes on a swing set.
- The scene where Roberta (Christina Ricci) and Samantha (Gaby Hoffman) beat up the jerk who says girls can't play softball.
- "Caniissyou?" -Devon Sawa
The screening of "Now And Then" is at 7:30pm on Thursday, February 21 at 92Y Tribeca on 200 Hudson Street. See you then!