I spent the first 29 years of my life totally avoiding Father’s Day because I had a bad dad
. But then I had Oliver, whose father is the bee’s knees.
The first few years, I didn’t really know what to do for Seth
on Father’s Day, but now it’s become a tradition to go to the beach -- after all, it’s June, and the weather has usually warmed up enough to not freeze our behinds off. Father’s Day always seems like the natural start of beach season to me, and so a tradition was born.
This pretty much sums up Seth's dad-awesomeness.
I don’t think, though, I have ever properly expressed my appreciation for Seth’s awesomeness. I mean yes, we go to the beach, but that is pretty much it. Seth isn’t really a greeting card kind of guy, and, like me, he is not a particularly sentimental person.
But I spent so much of my life with the specter of a shitty dad hanging over my Father’s Day, that I feel like it’s really important to celebrate the good dads out there.
My son is very lucky to have not only a great dad, but also a great almost-stepdad in my life partner, Jeff. These are two of the most thoughtful, loving dads a kid and a mom could ask for. Here’s all the stuff Oliver’s dad and dad-like figure do for him 365 days a year:
- Takes Oliver skateboarding, for haircuts, and to doctor’s appointments, playdates, Disneyland, the comic book store, out for ice cream
- Introduced Oliver to the Three Stooges
- Is the Tooth Fairy and Santa Claus
- Makes ninja movies with Oliver
- Encourages Oliver’s inherent weirdness
- Drops Oliver off and picks him up at school and summer daycare
- Cooks nutritious meals for Oliver
- Makes sure our kid talks to his grandparents on the phone
- Gives me daily updates when Oliver is at his house instead of mine
- Is proud of Oliver for all achievements, big and small
- Delivers consequences for bad behavior and praise for good behavior
- Makes living room forts with Oliver
- Introduced Oliver to some of his favorite movies from his childhood
- Plays handball outside with Oliver while I cook dinner
- Makes time every day to play with Oliver, no matter how busy he is
- Helps the kiddo get ready for bed and reads with him when I have to work late
- Is infinitely patient, especially for someone who has no kids of his own
- Helps Oliver study for his spelling tests at school
- Tells Oliver “I love you”
So -- a heartfelt thank you to these two dads and ALL the great fathers out there. You guys are the best. Kids like Oliver and moms like me are lucky to have you in our lives.
How about you, xoJaners? Do you have a great dad, or know some great dads? I want to hear about them!