I'm broke, son! Which is why I'm writing a roundup of some stuff I just want to buy, instead of reviewing some stuff I already bought. Then again, I don't really "review" things anyway. I ENDORSE them. With capital letters and exclamation points. Enthusiasm is the new apathy, you know.
And I am enthusiastic about the following lady artists, each of which have recently released an album that I hope to purchase as soon as I get paid again. (See also: rent.)
1. Emmy the Great, "Virtue"
- What: Hyperliterate British folk
- Why I Want It: ETG's debut album, "First Love," is freaking amazing.
- What I Learned from Amazon: Track 1 is called "Dinosaur Sex."
- Check Out: "We Almost Had a Baby" from "First Love."
2. Eleanor Friedberger, "Last Summer"
- What: Boundary-breaking indie pop
- Why I Want It: Friedberger is the lead singer of the Fiery Furnaces, whose "Bitter Tea" and "Gallowsbird's Bark" I already own.
- What I Learned From Amazon: Reviewer "Connie Nicole" thinks this album is a must if you "live in NYC," for some reason.
- Check Out: "Tropical Iceland" from Gallowsbird's Bark"
3. Ida Maria, "Katla"
- What: Norwegian girl rock
- Why I Want It: I have and enjoy "Oh My God," her previous album, plus Ida rocked my socks off at Coachella a few years back.
- What I Learned from Amazon: "I Eat Boys Like You For Breakfast" is almost as good a title as "I Like You So Much Better When You're Naked."
- Check Out: "I Like You So Much Better When You're Naked" from "Oh My God"
And don't forget Dolly has a new album out, too! What new albums are you into (or imagining yourself being into)?