How To Clean Out Your Closet With The Goal Of Selling Stuff and Making Some Money
1. Bag It: Put a bag at the bottom of your closet so you can easily drop items that you don't wear into it as you take them out of your closet.
2. Hang It: Turn your hangers to hook from the inside out each time you wear an item so you can easily keep track of the items that you have not worn.
3. Own Up: Be honest with yourself on items that don't fit. By the time you fit into those "skinny jeans" you'll want to treat yourself to a new pair.
4. Love It: If you don't love it, get rid of it. Your closet should be filled with only the items that make you feel like your most confident self.
5. Seasonal: Get rid of items at the end of the season that you did not wear, as it's unlikely you will wear them next season.
6. Tag It: If you still have the tags on an item two months after purchase, you are most likely not going to wear it. The tags actually give you value with resale so you can possibly get back exactly what you paid for it.
7. Let Go of The Guilt: Everyone has an item that they purchased because it was on sale, but will never wear. Stop having buyers remorse and sell it!
8. Be Picky: Instead of tackling your entire closet (a daunting task), pick one category at a time to clean out: skirts, accessories, jackets, shoes etc. This is a better way to ensure you complete your project from start to finish.
9. Keep Calm And Clean On: Cleaning out your closet can be both intimidating and liberating at the same time. Seeing empty space can spark panic, causing you to question, "Where are all my clothes?". Look at it as an opportunity to replenish your closet with new finds you'll love (and actaully wear)!
10. Show Me The Money: Reselling items is the best way to make all that money back. It also gives you some budget to freshen up your wardrobe with items that you'll feel great wearing. eDrop-Off offers free nationwide pick up and has been reselling for almost a decade, making them easy and trustworthy to handle all your giveaways.
It's a dreaded chore, but cleaning out your closet is a great way to make room for new items, while putting a little cash in your pocket at the same time. Let's be honest: Most of us have not even touched half the clothes in our closets--they just sit collecting dust and taking up precious space. Cleaning out your closet is a great way to start off the new year--you can streamline your style and rediscover some of your favorite pieces that have been stuffed at the back of the wardrobe for way too long.
To help you get started in editing down your closet (or just a few quick fixes to get organized), I have assembled some of my favorite closet tips that will help you clear, collect, and resell those old items.
Reprinted with permission from Elizabeth Street. Want more?