I was 29 years old yesterday, in case you didn't notice based on Mandy and Jane's posts. Happy birthday to me! I would have turned this in yesterday, and Emily did her best to stink-eye me into it, but HA! I was too busy having a birthday. So it's a day late and that is a-okay.
I was going to write a list of 29 beauty lessons I've learned in 29 years, but it was too difficult. I was all, "Um... Wash your makeup brushes regularly? That won't do." So here are 29 products I love. You might love them too.
1. Lush Cosmetics Dream Cream. This is an incredible all-purpose body moisturizer which I absolutely adore. It's great for people with eczema or psoriasis, but it's also the best tattoo healing cream I've ever found. Get into it!
2. Tan Towels. I don't know HOW I only recently gave these a test-drive, but I am completely obsessed. It's basically a "moist towelette" (worst!) covered in self-tanning lotion. The application is completely foolproof and couldn't be easier.
3. Treat Beauty Coconut Cream lip balm. I already talked about it, but it's so amazing that I had to mention it again. If you don't own one of these jumbo lip balms, you're missing out. It's true.
4. Make Up For Ever Rouge Artist Intense lipstick, especially #36. Now THAT is a colour. Damn, girl! Somehow, too, it stays on all day. It's a lipstick miracle!
5. Pacifica Island Vanilla everything. I have the perfume, the shower gel, even a reed scent diffuser. I am completely crazed for Island Vanilla. The shower gel has been giving me multiple nosegasms for MONTHS, and now my office smells like it too.
6. Boscia Green Tea Blotting Linens. Fellow shiny faces, take note: these have serious face-oil-sucking (ew) properties. I will not be without them! I always keep a pack in my handbag.
7. Hot Tools 2" straightening iron. My brand new lob requires either a) meticulous blow-drying, which I am not so skilled at, or b) serious straightening. So, truthfully, Chi or GHD irons are great, and I used to own about 5 of them, but they all disappeared. Sad trombone! I went into Ricky's the other day and picked this up. It is a life-saver and was only $60.
8. Mario Badescu Oil Free Moisturiser SPF 30. I had an incredible facial at Mario Badescu last month and was even more delighted when they sent me out the door with a huge pile of products. I immediately switched all my skincare over and have been using it ever since. I love this moisturizer because it has SPF in it. It makes me feel virtuous every morning!
9. Apple cider vinegar. A tablespoon of the stuff every morning will make you more beautiful. Fact!
10. Dove Cucumber and Green Tea deodorant. OK, I know deodorant isn't a very sexy or magical product, but I am obsessed with this one. I've been using it for years, and the few times I've tried something else, I instantly regret it. This deodorant smells fresh and clean, and best of all, it works. (I actually buy "bonus packs" of the stuff. Seriously, try it.)
11. Dry shampoo of any kind. A true saviour for those of with bangs. I hate the smell, though!
12.Kat Von D Autograph Liquid Liner. I recently discovered that I am in love with ALL of Kat Von D's beauty products. Her foundation, concealer, liquid lipstick and liquid liners are all equally brilliant. I'm going to write about them soon, but for now, just know that they are superb.
13. Palmer's Cocoa Butter Bronze Sunless Tanner and Instant Bronzer. It smells like chocolate and distributes a perfect amount of colour. It is also SPF 15. Yay!
14. Lush Cosmetics Ocean Salt. A brilliant (and very vigorous) body scrub. This is fantastic also for sufferers of KP (keratosis pilaris). I used to get a little bit of KP on the back of my arms. A week or so of using Ocean Salt cleared it up… and it never came back!
15. Mario Badescu Drying Lotion. This product is a staple of beauty editors across the world, maybe even the galaxy, because IT WORKS. If you have a terrible spot coming up, this stuff will stop it in its tracks. (Side note: I read a book when I was a child -- "I Was A Teenage Worrier" -- which referred to a pimple as a "beezer-pluke." It has stuck with me forever. So if I ever refer to a beezer-pluke in the future, you will know what I am talking about. Isn't that a great word? BEEZER-PLUKE!)
16. Ecotools brushes. These brushes are the brainchild of Alicia Silverstone, mega-vegan and fashion hero of every girl who grew up in the 90s. Anyway, I love them: they're inexpensive, 100% cruelty-free and wonderful. (Did you know Alicia also has a cool site about living naturally? Yep, it's called The Kind Life.)
17.MAC Cosmetics eyeshadow in Pink Freeze . I've been using this to highlight my brow bone and inner eye for approximately five trillion years and I love it. It makes me feel like I should be in some kind of manga.
18. Mario Badescu (yes, again!) Facial Spray with Aloe, Herbs and Rosewater. I like spraying this on my face when I need to freshen up my makeup. It magically unsettles your concealer and foundation from any cracks or lines they might be lying in. t's glorious. Keep it in the fridge for extra supernatural powers. By the way, Lush Cosmetics' Eau Roma Water does pretty much the same thing. They're both sublime elixirs in their own right.
19.Treat Cosmetics Whipped Coconut Tahitian Vanilla Organic Body Cream I mentioned this in my "How To Smell Like A Cake" piece, but I love this product so much and cannot go without it. Well, I could, but I would prefer not to.
20. Bobbi Brown Creamy Concealer Kit. It's really incredible. Dark circles BEGONE!
21. Simple Cleansing Facial Wipes. I'm not very precious about makeup removal: Most nights I just use an aloe vera and Vitamin E baby wipe. Hey, if it's good enough for a baby's butt, it's good enough for me. But when I'm wearing heavy eye makeup, I like to use Simple's face wipes. They're gentle and barely scented, but they are also genius.
22. False eyelashes. MAC Cosmetics does incredible ones, which last a long time (as in, you will get multiple uses out of them), Red Cherry are great too (and worn by the Kardashian clan -- say what you will, but their eyelashes are on POINT!), and failing that, I like eyelash extensions. Great long curly ones (the C shape opens up your eye). I truly feel naked without lashes.
23. Burt's Bees Lemon Butter Cuticle Cream. So, I basically stopped biting my nails when I started getting Calgel manicures (yet another reason to get them), but that doesn't mean my hands are immaculate all the time. I have a terrible habit of fossicking with the dry skin around my nails, which often results in grossness. (Those of you who do the same know exactly what I'm talking about.) The good news is that this cuticle cream keeps things sweet and fresh, meaning you are less inclined to fuck around with your fingers. I also like Lush's Lemony Flutter for this purpose.
24. Lush Cosmetics Ultrabland. Perfect for those nights when you go out with a FULL FACE of make-up and think you might need an ice-scraper to get it off. Ultrabland will dissolve it all and leave your face obscenely soft afterward. It's a truly gorgeous product.
25. Kat Von D Everlasting Love Liquid Lipstick in Backstage Bambi. YOU KNEW I was going to mention this. Seriously, this is the lipstick that changed my look forever. I don't think I have gone out with either this or Make Up Forever #36 in weeks. I am completely obsessed-a-roonie over the stuff. (I also picked up the shiny metallic version, which I don't like as much. It kind of makes you look like a pink Tin Man. Just an FYI.)
26. Miss Dior Cherie. I don't wear it anymore but when I smell it on a girl in the street, it makes me smile and think about naughty summers from years past. It smells like strawberries and optimism.
27. Cynthia Rowley Band-Aids.This is a weird addition, maybe. I don't know. I get paper cuts and stuff all the time, and that phony "skin" colour is a) bad and b) offensive. The Cynthia Rowley Band-Aids have SEQUINS PRINTED ON THEM, you guys. I bought two boxes, just because.
29. Invisalign. YES! My birthday present to myself this year was straight teeth. I started treatment in December and as of today, my teeth are pretty much perfect. Totally worth the money, I only wish I'd done it sooner. I'll be flashing my gnashes all over town, just you try and stop me.